Monday, February 15, 2010

Snow Days

We don't have many snow days in Texas. Yes we got a bit of snow on Christmas Eve, but that was more ice than anything, yet it was pretty and mostly all gone by Christmas Day.

When they had been predicting snow off and on since then in our area it was a no show. But this past week, they moved it back a day or two but said it was definitely coming and we were to expect anywhere from 1-4 inches. The whole week was a bit strange though.

That Sunday I watched the Super Bowl with Sue, because Chris went to his friends house. We made pizza and she went and got her and Nicole Chicken nuggets, and we just ate and watched. I hadn't felt all that great most of the day, but just passed it off as it was almost that time of the month. It wasn't... I went to bed around 10 or so and woke up around 11 and was up all night sick. It really wasn't pleasant to be shivering with chills , not being able to get comfy and not being able to stay out of the bathroom for more than 10-15 mins at a time. Needless to say I wasn't able to work on Monday - didn't even eat much solid food till Tuesday. I did go to work Wednesday, then Thursday too. We all got sent home by 1pm that day though due to the snow.

It had started snowing around 4am Thursday morning, and by the time we left for school that day, it hadn't stopped. It was really coming down and they were now saying we were going to get up to 7 inches, instead of the original 4. The kids at school were ecstatic - some of the little ones had never seen this much snow. Nobody wanted to do any work. I was working with 6th graders that day and I had them for lunch duty, so after they cleaned up, we all went outside and had a good ol' fashioned snowball fight. I had a blast since I hadn't done this in a long time. It was really good packing snow too. If you did it right, they didn't fall apart when they hit their target. Boy did I give as good as I got. the Vice Principal, was just standing at the window telling them not to hit anyone in the face, and laughing.

Well, the 7 inches came and still no end in sight. They closed the school at 1pm due to the inclement weather. Now my parents had taught me how to drive in this stuff, but I had only done it maybe 3 or 4 times. The cars in the lot had been sitting there getting snowed on for close to 5 hours by the time they let us go. I couldn't back out of my space - all my wheels did was spin. So finally Nicole and I watched the car parked in front of us maneuver their way out and I just pulled through and kept going. We finally got home safe - it took us almost 45 minutes for a normally 15 minute drive. I wasn't taking any chances and drove no more than 30-35 mph the whole way home.

When we got home it was still snowing, so Nicole and I went out to try to build a snowman but to no avail. We thought we would try it the next day after it had stopped snowing. We wound up getting 12 .5 inches that day - which was a record for this area in one 24 hr period. We didn't have school Friday, and today we still don't have school. The snow is mostly gone from the roads, now there is just ice, but the school doesn't have any power, and hasn't since Thursday night. Hopefully it will be restored , and we will have school tomorrow.

I took some great pictures and am going to look for a new bluetooth key today so I can get them off of my phone to show you! There are so many pics I have to share!

Now I know my friends in the North are laughing at me saying "twelve and a half inches? BAH! That's nothing" but believe me - there are no snow plows in this part of Texas! We don't have round the clock sand trucks. They were going to try to put some anti ice solution on the roads, but with all the rain, it was just going to get washed off. So all this snow was definitely news!
I hope I can get our pics up, if not I will link to our local news channel so you can see our snow!

Heres to hoping everyone had a great Valentines Day! I got a box of Reese's PB cups and a really cute card, so my days was a good one. We didn't do much for the day though, but Chris and I had gone shopping Saturday and had fun just being together.

Will blog more tomorrow!


Queenie Jeannie said...

We really enjoyed our snow!! We got around 6 inches I'd say of really wet, heavy snow. I was afraid for our roof!!!! People in GA were freaking out and having accidents left and right. As a NYer, you sort of have to laugh.

Bella LOVED it!!!

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I've been wondering how you all faired the storm. My mom and sister are still without power. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i so understand our 5 inches shut us down but like you we have no snow plows or cinder trucks... and it has been 8 years since the last snow... ours is all gone now though! i cant wait to see the pics too!

Michelle said...

I can imagine how much fun that was -- and I know you don't get snow simply from the fact that you were allowed to throw snowballs. That's verboten here, unfortunately. Good luck getting into school tomorrow.

Powered By Blogger