Tuesday, May 18, 2010

So Not Good

No, things are ok here at the moment. This is another post inspired by a prompt from Mama Kat's Writers workshop.

All you have to do is head on over there , usually on Tuesday afternoon and pick a prompt from the extensive list, do a post on your blog and go back and add it to Mr Linky on Thursday so everyone can enjoy it!

The prompt I picked this week was
#2 - What was your medicine? Write about a time you remember being ill.

This particular illness took place in 2003. In December. Flu Season.
Normally I didn't get a flu shot, but always got Nicole one. At this time she had just turned 5 like two weeks before.
Chris came down with the flu around Sunday or Monday of that week and was pretty sick, with high fever, nausea, aching, and everything that goes with it. The one thing I remember him complaining about was such a horrid headache. With him suffering from migraines, if he complained of his head I knew it had to be bad.

I tried to avoid him like the plague. I made him soup and such, but he moved into the living room and stayed there till he was better. Avoiding him didn't work as that following Saturday I woke up with a headache so bad it felt like I couldn't stand up and hold my head up or it would just explode off my shoulders.

I woke him up , asked him if that was how his started , he said yes, so he got up to take care of Nicole. He had to go to work that day, so couldn't stay there. Basically I alternated between the bathroom and the bed all day. However, with a 5 yr old , I was worried about her getting sick too. She had had half a dose of the flu vaccine by this point so I just kept my fingers crossed that she would be ok.

She was such a good girl that day though. Mommy couldn't really get up and fix her lunch, so I told her what to do , which was go into the refrigerator, get a hot dog, put it on a plate and hit the number buttons I told her too and the start button. ( By this age she knew her number and letters and could do this, with me watching her from the bedroom.) Although I realized I had to get up to cut it for her, but she did so good that day.

Anyway, Chris came home from work that night and brought me Theraflu. Blech. Unsweetened Lemony nasty drink on an upset stomach didn't sit well. My fever was over a hundred and frankly I don't remember if it was that night or the next night but Chris wound up taking me to the hospital. They did a test on me to see if I was dehydrated and sure 'nuff big time. I won a hospital bed of my own for the next week.

I do remember them giving me meds for the nausea and such and I ate some graham crackers and apple juice, but it still didn't stay where it belonged for long. Chris had to go to work the next day but didn't . He had my mom call his boss since it was a long distance call from the hospital, and he actually got in trouble since he hadn't been the one to call! ( his boss was an ass). Even when my mom explained he couldn't call because I was in the hospital.

The scariest part of all this is what Chris told me after I was lucid again after like the 2nd day and my fever was gone. I normally have a low white blood count. I don't get sick often, its just when I do , I get really sick. Chris had told the doctor that so when they saw the results of the CBC they wouldn't freak. Well, the doctor did freak - he had said my WBC came back very low. When Chris peeked at the lab report it was labeled Critical.

So not only was I in the hospital for a week, but I had won myself my own isolation room - meaning anyone that came in had to wash coming in and going out, wear a mask, gown and all that jazz. It really sucked. Eventually I got better, after they gave me a shot in my stomach to boost my WBC. I was released on a Friday and my MIL came up to help Chris take care of Nicole ( who THANK GOD didn't get sick) and me while he worked that weekend. She bought me a pair of blue flannel jammies, that I just recently had to retire - they were so comfy:)

Thank goodness I've never had the flu that bad again. I get a flu shot every year in October now. I don't ever want to be that sick again, where I actually don't remember some of it.

Well. What a trip down memory lane.
On a much brighter side, I see a light at the end of the tunnel, although a faint one.
So I can keep a bit of a smile on my face at this time.

( We are on our final countdown to the end of school. Nicole gets out on the 27th, so we can't wait!)


Anonymous said...

YIKES!!! Glad you made it through all that!

Michelle said...

That sounds like SO much fun. Bleh. I don't envy you....

And forget the flu shot - go for Vitamin D. And elder berry :) Studies are showing vitamin D deficiency leads to more flu than anything else. Go fig.

Unknown said...

That sounds really frightening! Wow, I'm glad you made it through ok. That must have been a really bad case of the flu if you had to be isolated like that!

I'm never too sure how effective flu shots really are but it's always better to be safe than sorry, right?

paige said...

Oh my goodness! I've never been that sick but the closest I came was the 4 day horrible illness that came right after I got my Polio vaccine (we were going overseas and I got a lot of vaccines.) I thought I was going to die.

Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

My Baby Girl came down with the flu when I was pregnant with Bud. I knew it the minute she started getting sick, and I knew what it meant for me. I had forgone the vaccine that year. I never will again. It was days before I could walk without pain in my legs.

Jeanette said...

That sounds miserable!!!

KatBouska said...

Oh my goodness!!! How horrible! I'm glad you made it out of that and here's hoping you NEVER get sick like that again. Yuck!

Queenie Jeannie said...

My worst flu was the December of 08. Ohmygosh...all three of us had it at the same time and it was BAD!!!!!! *shudders*


Tina L. Hook said...

I got the flu once and it was pretty horrible. I hope you (and me) never get it again.

Unknown said...


Powered By Blogger