Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shivering Shamrocks

You all know I usually don't post twice in one day, however I thought this short story would be totally appropriate for today!

In March of 1998, when I was just 4-5 weeks pregnant with Nicole I was in a St. Patricks Day parade.  The bellydancing troupe I was with was one of the acts in the parade.  
The parade was going to get cancelled if it dropped below 40 degrees, or rained more.
All of our costumes had to be in shades of green, white, gold, and silver.  
It was 42 degrees and misty.
Not ideal parade conditions.
It was supposed to be a 2.5 mile march through lower greenville in Dallas.  They have this huge parade every year.
We were to wear either sandals or little slippers.  I wore white ballet type slippers with my teal green costume that had a ton of biddy bells on it.  You could hear me coming a mile away.

The parade was loud, and a ton of fun.  However, being that newly pregnant I was exhausted at the end , and cold.  

The funniest part of this story is when I got home, my Uncle Dave ( who passed away two weeks before Nicole was born) called and asked me how the parade was.  I told him it went great, but was cold.  
He asked me if they had Bellydancers in Ireland. I said probably, but not as a traditional dance.  He said the thought of 50+ bellydancers , going down the street gave a whole new meaning to the term "shaking shamrocks"!


2 comments:

Nikki said...

OMG! I had forgotten about that! "Shakin' Shamrocks"...your Uncle Dave was just a riot! Hope you and yours have a great St. Patty's!

joanne said...

"shakin shamrocks" too funny j)

Powered By Blogger