Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Slight Feeling of Panic

For those of you who actually know me, or have followed my blog for a while you know I love to read.  Most of the time its a great thing.  I read any and all types of books - as long as it looks interesting then I'm usually hooked.  

When I was a bit younger I read almost ALL of Stephen Kings books.  The scarey ones especially.  Some of you may remember Carrie, Cujo, 'Salem's Lot and The Shining ( the book put me to sleep  - the movie scared the crap out of me...)
BUT, do any of you remember The Stand?

The book finally came down to the stand against good and evil.  It was a great book, but do you remember the first few chapters of it?  People were getting sick.  You'd walk by someone when they sneezed and boom you were infected too.  That book freaked me out in that when I'd be walking down the street, or the hall at work , hear someone sneeze and jump.  

Now it kind of seems that book can become a reality.  This Swine Flu is in the back of my mind, actually maybe not so much toward the back...
I know how many parents send their kids to school while mildly sick - I mean look how fast the stomach flu goes around! Kid says they feel nauseous - it's still off to school and then some parents sound like you are wasting their valuable time when you call them to tell them their kid just puked their breakfast up all over their desk..

So what will stop parents from actually sending their kiddos to school, or stop them from going to work when they have the sniffles ? or a bad cough that comes on suddenly???
If you feel like you've been run over by a MAC truck, chances are likely that you'd better get your butt to the doctor.  

We heard on our news this morning that there are three confirmed cases in Dallas County - where I live.  Down where my MIL lives , outside of San Antonio, they've closed a whole ISD to stop the threat of infection.  

Folks this isn't a book - this is real.  And to me, its pretty darn scary.  The WHO has set their caution at 4 - when it reaches 6 it means that the sickness has gone pandemic.  

Yes it is freaking me out just a tad bit.  I got my flu shot last October - butit won't help this flu.  

Please just be aware - watch the news and please stay safe. 

 And PRAY! 

_______________________

On the lighter side of things, please Click HERE to wish Mary Ellen a happy 100th post! and enter her fun contest!

9 comments:

Lora said...

It's scary, and I'm playing my denial card on this, based on the fact that I still totally freak when I see a dead bird because I'm still very very scared of West Nile Virus.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Well this doesn't look like a fatal flu. Alot of cases in the US have already recovered. I wouldn't worry until there is something to worry about!

Prayer is always a good idea though!!!!

Chris H said...

WE have the pig flu here! It came with a group of school kids who had visited Mexico last week! And a friend of mine and her partner are in isolation cos he was on the same plane as them coming back to New Zealand on saturday! It's mad. And worrying.

Mary Ellen said...

If it gets too scary for you, hop a plane and come visit the northeast. It's a lot harder for bad germs to live up here!

Wash your hands, everybody!

And thanks for the shout out!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I love the stand... great book great movie too... stephen kind is a wonderful writer :) pig flu is close to here too a group of folks from SC went to mexico and came back with it...
I love how things happening seem to coenside with the bible prophesys... and I love the bible so am not worried at all
Hugs and prayers

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Wash, wash, wash. I'm sending you STAY HEALTHY MOJO.


Hallie

Anonymous said...

The company Don & I work for Issued a Ban on travel work/personal from Mexico..so it's serious when a company does that..

On the other hand...GermX makes a great hand santizer..and they even make these little GermX wipes..When we go out to eat..I pull one out of my purse, wipe my hands before I eat, and wipe the table, cause I don't know who has sneezed or coughed on the table..Yes Im a germ freak, but I can say...I'm hardly ever sick. Knock on Wood!

Anonymous said...

Oh BTW...I read something on the net tonight, as well as I seen on Oprah...You must wash your hands 30 seconds with an Anti-Bac soap to kill germs.

Michelle said...

I'm with you on the parents who should keep their kids home from school -- and the adults who shouldn't go to work -- but you know it'll take a lot for that to change. Hopefully the media warnings about this one will make it a bit more effective.

And anti-bacterial... BAD. It kills too many germs and it also makes the few germs that live resistent to things that would otherwise kill them when we REALLY need to kill them. The thirty seconds is in reference to regular old soap. It's been proven that this is just as effective as -- and long term, healthier than -- antibacterial stuff.

And I'll step off my soapbox now :)

Powered By Blogger